B4RN is here and now a reality. Contractors have almost completed providing access via the pavement for those who don’t already have access to the B4RN network.
A small box will be laid in the pavement outside your property boundary. It is then your responsibility to dig in a 7mm diameter duct from the pavement across your front garden to the house. We have a list of people who may dig this in for you and a grant is payable to help cover any such costs.
If you are going to take B4RN at ANY point in the future, we strongly suggest you get your duct in now whilst the advice, assistance and government finance is available. Once the contractors have moved on and the volunteers connected up, it will be harder for you to do it by yourself.
Caton volunteer meetings
Every Monday 8pm at the Victoria Institute in the Victoria Room
Brookhouse drop in sessions
Every Tuesday 7pm to 8:30pm in the Black Bull. Look for the table with a B4RN sign.
How to get B4RN
- Register at b4rn.org.uk/getb4rn if you haven’t already done so
- This will trigger a request for government funding to get the service to your boundary. It is vital you immediately respond to any emails from B4RN or the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS).
- Call in at our weekly drop in sessions in Caton and Brookhouse to get answers to all your questions.
Brookhouse 7pm – 8:30pm every Tuesday at the Black Bull.
Caton 8pm every Monday at the Victoria Institute in the Victoria Room.
- Once live and paying for your B4RN service and, after you have responded to a final email from DCMS, you will receive your dig grant.
Still in a contract?
Connect+ (Connect Plus) is now available for Caton and Brookhouse. If you’re stuck in a contract that has 12 months or less to run, you can get B4RN service for only a £5 monthly tariff until your other deal runs out. Once your existing provider’s contract ends, you’ll move on to B4RN’s standard tariff, currently £30 monthly. If you wish to take advantage of Connect+ then you must have your Connect+ application approved BEFORE you go live with B4RN. Connect+ can not be applied retrospectively under any circumstances.
How do I get the discounted rate?
- Sign up for B4RN at b4rn.org.uk/getb4rn as above
- Apply for Connect plus at b4rn.org.uk/connectplus and upload a copy of your existing broadband contract.
- Once your ducting is through your garden and house kit installed, your street constructed, and your property goes live and connected to B4RN, your discounted rate will be applied.
There will be a leaflet through your door and information available at the Victoria Institute, Brookhouse Methodist Church and through Facebook.
How to help
We need volunteers to help fit house kits. The best way to get B4RN is to group up with your neighbours and help each other fit the house kits, dig across your gardens and generally help those who may have difficulty doing it themselves.
Become an approved contractor
We also need paid contractors to who can be called on by those who need paid help in digging their ducts or fitting house kits should volunteers be unavailable. Find out more at b4rn.org.uk/ibacs
Although we receive government funding, we still need investment. You can invest in B4RN whether you’re interested in the service or not. The scheme offers a fair rate of return. Your investment will help make this project a success. You can find out more by visiting the B4RN resources page and following the “Investors” tab.